Monday 15 September 2014

TEDtalk, Itay Talgam, "Lead Like the Great Conductors"

There was one thing that really blew my mind upon viewing the video "Lead Like the Great Conductors". It is the concept that conductors need not give 100% clear instructions to their ensemble when conducting. Itay explains that in these cases, the ensemble will be more in sync with each other as opposed to feeling confident enough with the conductor's instructions so as to play "in their own world". As a percussionist, I come from a background of playing precisely on the beat. In order to be precise, my job is a lot easier if the conductor is 100% clear with his/her downbeats. Therefore, the idea that some conductors leave this interpretation entirely up to the ensemble somewhat scares/concerns me.

Along the same line as this, I was also slightly concerned about Leonard Bernstein's "facial expression" conducting at the end of the video. Though I did find it somewhat amusing as a viewer, I feel that I would be terrified to be at the back of that orchestra. Not that I am against facial expressions in conducting, don't get me wrong. I believe that conveying the character or the mood of a piece (or section of a piece) is necessary in order to get the desired sound out of the ensemble. Though I do feel that it is a lot easier to convey (and a lot easier to interpret) these things with hand gestures along with facial expressions, not just one or the other.


Anyways, those are my thoughts on "Lead Like the Great Conductors". Until next time,


Evan H

No comments:

Post a Comment